Saturday, March 11, 2023

The Screenplay

    I am being completely honest when I say I have never thought of myself as someone who is very good at writing dialogue. And while I know the screenplay for "Short Story Lover" isn't anything over complicated or out of this world, I can't help but feel proud of myself for what I've created so far. The screenplay itself ended up being just over two pages (and by just over I mean the last page has one line on it).


 FADE IN:


INT. CECILIA’S BEDROOM - DAY


We see some flowers in a green vase as the camera pans over a cluttered, yet organized, dresser.


CECILIA, a 17-year-old aspiring writer is sitting on her bed, typing away at yet another short story. 


CECILIA

(hitting the delete button repeatedly)

Hmm. No that’s not right.



CUT TO:


INT. ROMAN'S BEDROOM - DAY


We see a hand playing the guitar. We zoom out and see ROMAN, a blonde 17-year-old, sitting on his bed trying to get the chords right to a song. 


ROMAN stands and checks himself out in the mirror then flops back onto his bed. He looks over at a framed picture of him and CECILIA, smiling, he reaches for his phone.


INT. CECILIA'S BEDROOM - DAY


A phone buzzes on the dresser.


CECILIA

(picks up the phone)

Hi, Roman!


INTERCUT ROMAN/CECILIA


ROMAN

Hey Ceci, what’re you doing?


CECILIA

Oh you know, the usual


ROMAN

Writing again?


CECILIA (V.O.)


Mhm, yup.


ROMAN


Yeah? What’re you writing about this time? Another Romance?



CECILIA (V.O.)

(playful)

That is information for me to know, and you do not.


ROMAN

Right, my bad. 


ROMAN looks over at the picture on his nightstand


ROMAN (CONT’D)

(a bit nervous)

Hey so I was wondering if you wanted to, maybe go out tomorrow night?


CECILIA

(distracted)

Uh, yea sure.


ROMAN

(excited)

Okay cool, I was thinking we could go get some food and then maybe go see a movie!


CECILIA

Yeah, sounds fun.


ROMAN

Perfect, what time do you want me to-

CECILIA

(cutting ROMAN off and oblivious to what is happening)

Ooh, you know who’s been dying to go to the movies lately? Isa and Audrey. I’ll let them know about tomorrow, sounds good?


ROMAN

(disappointed but trying not to show it)

Uh yea, sounds good.


ROMAN hangs up the phone defeated and tosses it onto his bed.



ROMAN

(talking to his reflection)

Well, you tried.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

       Well, that's a wrap! Bellow are the links to the project components! Enjoy :) Instagram: @stare.shortfilm Postcard: Front of Pos...