Sunday, March 3, 2024

Beginning of Script Writing & Finding a Name

Script Writing

    In class this week, I focused on writing my script. I had originally planned on finishing it and beginning filming on Saturday March 2nd, but I then realized that was entirely unrealistic, especially if I want to create something of real quality. I did still end up getting some shots at my dad's office, since he has a pretty empty conference room so I can practice and experiment with editing and have some content for the social media page, but more on that in the next post.

  I am not yet done with the script, however as I am writing I am realizing more how dependent the piece is going to be on specific props and costumes in order to tell each character's story in the most effective way possible. This is going to be even more challenging since I am limited to the resources I currently have and a very limited amount of money I could actually spend on getting props that I can't find on my own. Good thing the dollar store exists. 

    Throughout the script, I also decided to not add names to the characters. They are simply identified by the color that characterizes them, or in the personification of death, just "Death". I thought of doing this because in not giving them a name, the characters can represent anyone. It is also just more simple at this point in the writing process. Them having or not having names will not effect the plot, however I do acknowledge they could represent anyone even if they did have names. 


"Stare"

 
   Another realization that dawned on me while working on the script, was that I needed a title for the short film. At first I thought of naming it "The Room" since the main setting took place in a room, but that didn't go with what I was trying to create. It made the short film feel more like a horror situation, which is not what i am going for. Just "Room" didn't work either as, again, it didn't quite go with what I wanted, and also there is a very popular 2019 movie staring Brie Larson with the exact same name. I tried experimenting with maybe making the title the name of the character that would be personifying "Death" but I couldn't find a name that really stuck, and I also didn't want "death" to be something that could be so easily identified by a name since the whole point of the short film is how death can be perceived in many ways, and it is not just tied down to one label or perception. 
   
     I still had no title for my short film and felt completely stuck. Out of no where, I'm washing my hair and getting ready to go to the office to get some practice shots for the project, when the name "Stare" dawned on me. It was perfect. It encapsulates my film as a whole without giving anything away. "Stare" literally refers to the fact that the personification of death is always staring directly at the camera, but it also refers to the idea that all the characters which "Death" encounters, have death staring them in the face, and subsequentially, so does the audience. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

       Well, that's a wrap! Bellow are the links to the project components! Enjoy :) Instagram: @stare.shortfilm Postcard: Front of Pos...